Things that have disappeared since J’s diagnosis:
- The top to my favorite eight-quart pot (never found).
- J’s rain coat. She then thought mine was hers. I bought a new one. Truth be told, I like it better than my old one.
- My make-up brushes (rescued from the waste paper basket in the bathroom).
- My favorite running shirt. J was using it to sleep in.
- J’s wallet – repeatedly (it now has a sensor in it that’s connected to an app on my phone).
- J herself. She always knows where she is, but sometimes she doesn’t tell us where she is going.
- Flatware. We seem to have less and less. Where does it go? The sock planet?
Then there are the things that never disappear.
- J’s delight in small pleasures.
- The moon, which we watch with interest whenever it is visible.
- Our love.